Gone Fishing

On a Saturday morning, I visited a book sale conducted by the local library, just a few blocks away from my home. It was a pleasant and easy walk from my home. Hundreds of used books, some very old and some fairly new, on varied subjects such as Arts, Literature, Travel, History, Cooking, Fiction, Children Books, Home, Gardening etc., were on sale for a dollar and less. A huge collection of some wonderful books sold for throw away prices. On a lovely sunny day, in the outdoors, spread over a green lawn, beneath the trees and a pleasant cool breeze. A huge crowd of people, children, toddlers, all digging into the cartons of books, fishing for the best they could find. Greedily hovering over a box of books for a long time, digging ferociously, lest someone else catches the gem in the pile before they do. In the children’s section, there was a big crowd of moms and kids, sitting on the green lawn under the cool shade of the trees, with their water bottles, digging the boxes and piling up the books in their bags. Ambitious toddlers dragging a bag of a size as big as them, around the lawn over the grass and stuffing it with any book they please. A good sign, in these times, for sticking to the joy of reading or looking at a book at an early age, when books are being rapidly replaced by note pads/laptops and the internet. I was amongst them too. Digging and fishing for some treasure. Going through the boxes again and again to make sure I hadn’t missed out on that big find. Piling up as many books I could until I could carry no more. Not wanting to miss this great opportunity while I was there, in a book lover’s paradise. By the time I was not yet done, but too tired and heavily loaded with so many books that I could barely walk with them, I called for help. And my husband came to my rescue, helped me carry the books and bring them back home. Now in my living area, there are books everywhere. These are some lovely books. I do not have the patience to finish one and then start another. So I start many books at the same time and read them correspondingly. Of those books I picked up are, 'The Good Cook' series on Cakes, Breads, Vegetables, Salads, Preserving; 'The Best of Country Cooking'; and 'The Country Store', by Stephanie Donaldson who talks about a simple and a more satisfying way of living in tune with the rhythm of the seasons and the spirit of nature, illustrated with beautiful photography by Michelle Garrett. A wonderful book for the table top and a treasury of creative ideas with timeless appeal.
Some great finds at the book sale!

Recently I have become fascinated with country living, music, country everything. Traditional foods, country crafts and natural decorations that have a timeless appeal and also help us to live healthy and in harmony with nature.